1. Don’t freak out! You have literally just finished one of the most stressful and taxing times of your life. Relax, rest, recharge.
2. Do not take any job (and salary) anyone throws at you. Stick to your dreams and goals. Don’t get side tracked.
3. Do not give up! You will get rejections, you will spend hours filling out job applications, but keep searching! I got so many declines even from FREE internships, and then landed a very well paid job. Don’t give in!
4. Don’t blow all your savings on celebrating – okay I’m not the fun police in fact I spent most of my time blowing my student loan (and overdraft) but the job market is HARD. Keep your savings so you don’t feel pressured to settle for any job.
5. Don’t lose contact with your uni besties. So easy to do when you all go your separate ways. But make the effort.
6. Don’t worry if you have to move home with your parents. This does not mean you are a failure, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
7. Don’t slack in your internship. Yes you may be working for free just to get something on your CV. But an internship can be the gateway to your dream job. Work hard at your internship!
8. Don’t forget to put an online portfolio together create content for your dream career if you haven’t already. No matter what you do these days chances are you’ll need a portfolio. Especially if you are a creative. Put a link in your CV to your online portfolio to help you stand out.
9. Sign on to benefits if you have too – I know this one is quite taboo but I don’t give a shit. There is no shame in it if you have no money, struggle to find a job and need genuine help.
10. Don’t be so hard on yourself. After your 5th rejection letter it’s easy to fall into a downward spiral, but honestly we’ve all been there. Nobody walks out of university and into their dream job. Just try your best and i promise it will all work out. Give it time.